“Usually, by the second visit I can hear the children galloping down the hallway towards my rooms with an expectation that they will enjoy their visit, laugh, have fun, feel supported and cared for whilst learning and developing new tools to help them on their journey to optimum health and wellbeing.”
Kerrie works with children aged 2-17 years of age and will also see women on request. Kerrie focuses on the following areas:
- Anxiety/Separation Anxiety/Phobias
- Anger Management/Self-Regulation
- Autism – Diagnosis & Assessment
- Autism – Treatment of High Functioning Children (Asperger’s)
- ADHD Assessment & Treatment
- Academic/Learning Difficulties & Giftedness
- Academic Testing – IQ assessment (WISC-V), (WPPSI-IV) & Aptitude (WIAT 111)
- Assessments of Adaptive Behaviour (Vineland2)
- Auditory Processing Disorders
- Behavioural Difficulties
- Body Image (Not Anorexia or Bulimia Nervosa)
- Bullying & Friendship Problems
- Coping Strategies Chronically Ill Children & Siblings
- Depression/Low Mood
- Grief & Loss (Children & Parents)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Positive Parenting Consultations & Counselling
- School Readiness Assessments
- Self Esteem
- Stress Management
- Sleep Problems
- School Refusal & School Liaison
- Social Skills Development & Shyness
- Tic Disorders
- Work Related Issues
Kerrie does not work in the area of Family Law or Family Separation.
How will you treat my child?
Kerrie Bona only draws from evidence based practice in her treatment of children and young people. The following treatment modalities have been proven in extensive research to be robust and safe when administered by an appropriately trained professional such as a Registered Psychologist and are used at Bluebird Children’s Psychology ®.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Positive Psychology
- Play therapy
There is a strong focus in this practice on the use of Positive Psychology. When utilised along side CBT positive psychology provides a powerful tool to assist in the development of optimistic and resilient children. Positive Psychology aims to increase positive emotions and enables children to engage their signature strengths. It assists individuals to live meaningful and purposeful lives. Positive Psychology also facilitates an improved explanatory style for negative events which can have a significant impact on a pessimistic outlook and on depression and anxiety. Kerrie is committed to the development of “tools for life” in her work with all her children.
The first appointment is a 1 hour parent consultation providing a private opportunity for you to discuss with Kerrie the concerns you have without your child present. At this time Kerrie will discuss with you how she works and she will provide you with information about confidentiality and privacy laws in relation to your child seeing a Registered Psychologist.
Parents usually feel better after a parent consultation because of the private nature of the conversation and the fact that planning can now commence to help your child/children. Your child will typically attend at the next appointment. Children are generally understandably nervous on their first visit but quickly realise that sessions are fun and interactive.
Please note that Kerrie is unable to provide Crisis Intervention as a Private Practitioner. If you find yourself in an emergency Call Lifeline on 13 11 14.
Bluebird Childrens Psychology is committed to the Victorian Child Safe Standards which promotes cultural safety of aboriginal children and children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds as well as the safety of children with a disability. The APS Code of Ethics and relevant Ethical Guidelines are consistent with the Standards.